Saturday, January 10, 2015

Twin Post: Doctor Visits

This post will be short and sweet. I wanted to write about this particular subject because I wish I would have been mentally and emotionally prepared going into our doctor visits.

Doctor visits are never fun for anyone, especially if you have to get a big scary shot, and ESPECIALLY if those shots are going to your two precious and fragile babies. So far, the babies have gotten shots at our 2 month, 4 month, and coming soon 6 month check ups. I'm sure its hard for every mom to bring their baby to visit the pediatrician, but there are a few tips that I think will help out those awesome twin mommies out there!:)




Write it down and ask Questions:
Before you go to the doctor, make sure you write out your questions about each individual baby. Write it in your phone so you don't forget it or lose it. (trust me, when you're getting you and your two babies ready for the doctor, you will forget something…it's science) So like for me I wrote something like this for their 2 month check up…

Brody: projectile vomits all the time - why won't he smile -  why is he growing faster than Noah - why does he eat like a horse - he won't sleep.    Noah: has some serious gas that won't come out -  why does he have green/yellow poop -  he cries all the time for no apparent reason - he's not growing as fast as Brody - he won't sleep either.

Okay, so writing it down may seem like, "duh", to you, but when you get to the pediatrician and she asks you, "How's it going!?", you will immediately forget everything that you've been crying over for the past two months. Write it down. Give the list of questions/concerns to her. And let her calm your nerves by telling you its all normal.

Bring a helper:
You don't want to be in the pediatrician's office when they are both having a royal meltdown and you're by yourself. I brought my lovely mother with me every time because Thomas had to work. I love bringing her because I can vent all of my latest frustrations to her and she can go over my list of questions/concerns before I hand it over to the pediatrician. And you know what? Every single question that she answered was the exact same response I got from the doc. Why is that? Because moms are awesome and know everything about everything. One day, we too will know everything. (or let our kids somehow believe that) Love you, Mom!!! <3 Thanks for all your help!:)

Shots:
This could probably go under "bring a helper", but I figured it should have a spot of its own. First, say a quick prayer that God will keep you strong for your babies. They need you. (Lord, Please give me strength and take away their pain) When your first born is getting his shot, let your helper hold your second born so you can "be there" for your first. He will look into your eyes and smile while the nurse is prepping his tiny thighs for the needle of doom. Poor baby is so innocent and has no idea what's about to happen... but you do:(  And for some odd reason, you feel so guilty, almost like you're betraying your son! Maybe that's just me. So she stabs your baby with THREE shots in the thighs and he belts out the BIGGEST scream and your heart is now forever broken. As soon as the nurse is done and puts those horrible sticky bandaids on his thighs (why the cheap bandaids!?!) you immediately pick him up and try to comfort him. But guess what….you're so not done. You have another baby to replay that whole nightmare with. UGHH!! THE JOYS OF TWINS!!! So.. you hand off your still SO upset baby to your helper and do it all over again with your second born. (hold back your tears because you're a strong twin mommy!)

My advice-  1) Have bottles ready for your babies to give them some comfort and to distract them from the pain. 2) Have baby Tylenol in your medicine cabinet expecting fevers to come later on. 3) Have someone to help you for the next 24 hours, or at least someone on standby. Your babies will need a lot of loving and nurturing and that's nearly impossible to do solo. Even if your hubby is home, it's nice to have another "mommy" helping you out. Some babies do great with shots and aren't effected. Mine, however, were very clingy, wanted nothing else but rocking and cuddling, and had fever for the next 24 hours. 4) Rip off those bandaids asap-- (I had to get my father-in-law to do it the first time because I had experienced enough trauma for one day)




I'm sure I am leaving out a lot considering I had to stop and start this post 17 different times because two very cute and obvious reasons:)

No comments:

Post a Comment