Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Twin Post: How do you do it?

"How do you do it? I couldn't even imagine! You must have lots of help. Man, I couldn't do what you do. I have trouble with one, much less two! How do you do it?"


These are just a few questions I get on a daily basis when I run into people at church, in the grocery store, or at the mall. If you're a twin mom, you know now that your two little monkeys get LOTS of attention when you take them out. "Are they twins? Are they boys or girls? Are they identical? Were they natural?" And then they always know someone who had twins, or tell me a little story about twins they knew. I don't mind at all. I actually love talking to new people and have them gawk over my sweet boys:)
But for my fellow twin moms and for people who were wondering how we do it, I always have the same response… "I just do it."



But what I really mean is…

Faith.
I couldn't have gotten out of bed most days if it wasn't for asking the Lord to give me strength. I wouldn't have known how to comfort my babies if I didn't ask the Lord for wisdom. I couldn't have made those evening colic hours if I didn't ask the Lord to pour His love through me because I felt like my love wasn't enough. I couldn't have gotten through the numerous night feedings if I didn't ask the Lord for patience and endurance. God Almighty created these baby boys for His purpose, and gave Thomas and me the privilege of raising them to know and love Him. People ask me how do I do it? Jesus. Our God equips us for what He has called for our life.
"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own insight or understanding." Proverbs 3:5

Health.
One thing that I've figured out on this road of motherhood, is that if I'm not feeling great every day.. all day…24/7... I can not be the mother I want to be that my children deserve. I can not be the wife I want to be that my husband deserves. The exhaustion takes over, and the frustration kicks in.You don't sleep, you don't have time to eat, and when you do it's quick and usually crap. You end up feeling more tired, you're not "regular", and you gain weight, which makes you more tired and depressed. You start this crazy cycle of bad health choices that see,s impossible to stop. Especially in the first few weeks, the last thing you can think about is yourself and eating right. But in reality, that's part of the importance of being a mother. YOU have to be healthy for your family because they need the very best of you. I am definitely not the poster child of health, but I have done the best that I can with the circumstances. I eat low carb as much as possible and meal plan, take Plexus supplements, exercise at home doing T25, sleep as much as possible, drink tons of water, and walk/job with my babies when I can. Moms, even if you can do one of those things, it can help you're health, attitude, and energy to keep up with your babies.




Help.
Surprisingly, asking for help is something that I am STILL struggling with. I am so much like my Mawmaw Loretta, that I "never want to bother nobody". I will be in tears with my hair falling out before I call my mom for help, but I think I'm getting better. I just got home from spending a week at my moms house because my two babies were sick and I just couldn't do it by myself. I asked my sister-in-law to watch my babies while I did things I needed to do around the house. My sister is watching the boys while Thomas and I have a Valentine's Day lunch in BR. Next weekend, my mom and mother-in-law are taking the babies overnight so Thomas and I can enjoy our friends' late night wedding. All you have to do is ask. People love you and are more than willing to help you and cuddle with your babies. Just ask.
If you have twins, or are expecting twins. move close to your family and friends. Because you WILL need help. And thats okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment